Following a magnitude 6.3 earthquake that struck Syria and Turkey on October 16, 2017, aid has been rushing in to affected areas. The United Nations has already pledged $US 5 million for relief efforts, and more is likely to follow as the full extent of the damage becomes clear. So far, the death toll from the earthquake has reached 270 with more expected as rescue teams continue their search and rescue operations. In addition, an estimated 1.5 million people are now displaced, many of them living in makeshift shelters with limited access to food and water. This blog post takes a look at how medical aid is being delivered to the area impacted by the earthquake in Syria and Turkey. From medical supplies to emergency response teams, this convoy is a sign of hope for those who are in need.
Since the devastating earthquake on Monday, the opposition-held region of north-west Syria has seen the arrival of the first UN aid convoy from Turkey.
Since the devastating earthquake on Monday, the opposition-held region of north-west Syria has seen the arrival of the first UN aid convoy from Turkey. The convoy, which consists of more than a hundred trucks and contains medical supplies, food, and water, is thought to be one of the largest humanitarian convoys to reach north-west Syria in years.
The earthquake has killed at least 44 people and injured over 1,400 in northern Syria. Idlib Province is particularly hard hit, with reports estimating that up to 60 percent of the province’s residents may have lost their homes in the quake.
Recently, rebel groups affiliated with the Free Syrian Army (FSA) have been fighting government forces for control of Idlib. If successful, this would give them control over a large area including key crossroads and highways that could provide easier access for humanitarian aid shipments into the province.
This latest UN aid convoy is just one indication that international support is growing for those trying to help victims of Syria’s five-year civil war. In June 2016, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon announced that UN aid agencies would begin delivering assistance through Turkish territory into regions controlled by Syrian opposition groups.
António Guterres, the UN Secretary General, stated, ” More assistance is coming, but much more is required.
António Guterres, the UN Secretary General, stated, “More assistance is coming, but much more is required.” In an interview with the BBC on Tuesday, Guterres said that aid was starting to trickle in and that he believed more would come as soon as possible.
The Syrian Civil War has taken a heavy toll on the country’s population. More than 450,000 people have been killed and over two million have been displaced since it began in 2011. To make matters worse, more than 11 million people are living in areas that are considered besieged by the government of Syria.
Guterres called for an end to the war and for humanitarian access to those in need. He also said that peace talks should be restarted between representatives of the government of Syria and those who oppose it.
Since the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that struck southern Turkey, at least 1,970 deaths have been reported by the White Helmets.
Since the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that struck southern Turkey, at least 1,970 deaths have been reported by the White Helmets. The Syrian Civil Defense, also known as the White Helmets, is a volunteer organization made up of first responders and paramedics who assist victims in need after natural disasters or attacks. The organization has been providing aid in Syria since 2012 and was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2016. In Idlib province, the group continues to provide essential medical care to civilians impacted by the recent conflict between pro-government forces and opposition groups.